new banner

Sunday, June 05, 2011

A blanket for baby

Like most knitters, I've spent years making baby items for my friends -- particularly in the past few years. And I never had much trouble choosing patterns for them. I wanted something kinda throwback for Christa's baby, something with lots of earth tones for Kate. For my one friend Jen something jovial. For my other friend Jen, something pure and angelic.

But when it was my turn to knit for my own baby, I was crippled with indecision. First off, knit or crochet? Bright, primary colors or something more muted and classy? For weeks, I pinned designs on Pinterest, queued pics on Ravelry. I was about to go on vacation and knew I had to decide -- and the Sunshine Day baby afghan was the winner.



I wanted something with a vintage feel, and I search for a palette of colors that were playful but not too cloying. I settled on Cascade's Eco Alpaca for the background and, because of the wide range of colors, Superwash for the flowers. I know, I know, Alpaca and Superwash. I'm an idiot.

Here's what I'm a little ashamed to admit: I didn't enjoy making this. The motifs are so small that I felt like I was constantly cutting yarn and adding new yarn and weaving in ends. I could never just zone out while making it, even for a few minutes. I think that's why it took me so darn long. This made me so sad -- this blanket is for my first child! What kind of mother will I be if I can't even sacrifice enough to CROCHET A BLANKET?

I'm blaming my impatience on random pregnancy side effects, like the cough I've had for 10 weeks and my inability to focus enough to read an entire magazine article. In the end, I decided to keep it on the smaller side so it will fit car seats and strollers. Now, I can focus on little rompers and soakers and other such things.



Having said this, I do love how it turned out. My joins aren't great, but it reminds me of something my grandmother would have crocheted for a new baby. She excelled at motifs (and probably never complained about them). Something about it feels heirloom-y to me. This blankie will be too warm to bring to the hospital come July, when our little guy is expected to arrive. But maybe some fall afternoon, when it's a little brisk out, it will be my turn to wrap one of my blankets around a baby, our baby.

11 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

The blanket is beautiful and you are going to be a wonderful mother.

9:40 AM  
Blogger jess said...

Awww, this blanket is definitely an heirloom, Carrie! It's going to make you so happy to see him snuggled up in it.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Your blanket is wonderful and perfect because you made it for your baby. If you can, put aside your feelings about making it and just revel in the fact that you did because that is the most important part.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Kristyn said...

I also did not enjoy making much for my son when I was pregnant. Now though it is a joy! Pregnancy makes us do and feel weird things.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Grandpa and Grandma LOVE the blanket! You did a beautiful job - such pretty colors. The "little guy" will certainly be warm snuggled under it.

6:08 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Love how this turned out! Trust me when I tell you that you will be using it for a long time to come. You may not need it for the ride home from the hospital, but you're going to use it a lot this winter. And if your kiddo ends up being anything like mine, he's going to want to use it to pretend to sleep or put his "friends" to sleep when he's a toddler!

8:12 PM  
Blogger tentenknits said...

Gorgeous blanket!! You got some great crochet skills, lady!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I think this is great. And believe me, you will use it in July too. What a wonderful gift to your newborn.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Your blanket is wonderful and perfect! This is great.

Homeowner Insurance

11:10 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Oh it's really beautiful, Carrie. You will use it so much and I bet your little guy will love it to bits.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Cassy said...

Lovely blanket. Those many ends would drive me crazy too, but it looks like you did a great job.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home